Thursday, November 17, 2011

Fryin' Okra


I’ve never fried anything before. Like, really fried. Sure, I’ve fried an egg and used olive oil to sauté chicken, but I’ve never put a vat of Crisco in a frying pan and fried something. Until now that is. When my friend S and I were at the local farmers market, I saw a basket of okra. I told her that the hubby likes fried okra and she told me how she makes it (so good as to impress her father-in-law). So we split a basket and got out the Crisco.

Chop up the okra; soak it in eggs.


Mix cornmeal and whatever spices you like (I used paprika, garlic powder, and pepper) and add the egg-soaked okra.
Heat Crisco in a frying pan until it is liquid.


Toss okra in the Crisco and fry.


In this particular batch, I didn’t use enough Crisco, but they still turned out okay.


My Southern husband gave me a 6 for my effort. I’d say that’s pretty good for my first attempt at frying!

No comments:

Post a Comment