Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Fall Decor

I don’t usually decorate for the seasons, but this year I wanted to do something with pinecones. So with a little inspiration from Pinterest and some help from the garden, I redecorated the mantel and added a touch of fall to the dining room.

Here is the mantel before.


I started with the square hurricane vase. I filled it with popcorn, red kidney beans, green split peas, and topped it off with round spiky plant matter that fall off trees like pinecones (I have no idea what they are called, but they look cool). I put an upside down bud vase inside the hurricane before filling it with the popcorn, beans, and peas. That helped fill up some of the space inside so I didn’t need as much popcorn, etc. A couple pinecones surround the vase that’s tied with a strip of burlap.


Upside down wine glasses make great candelabras. They also display pinecones and a gourd. I tied strips of orange fabric around the stem of two of the glasses and used a brown ribbon for the third. I love this wine glass idea because it can be reinvented in so many ways. Different color ribbons and display objects can be used for a variety of seasons and events.



A pumpkin and gourd adorn the end of the mantel.




I used the extra gourds by the letter blocks.



I really like the final product. Simple, but festive.



In the dining room, I flipped the table runner to the brown side and set up three pinecone/gourd wine glass candelabras.




I also filled a couple bowls on the hutch with the extra pine cones.

Now I want to drink some hot apple cider!

Sources: The popcorn, beans, and peas are from the grocery store. I picked up the pinecones and the spiky spheres on the side of the road when I was out for a bike ride. The wine glasses are from Dollar Tree and hurricane vase from Garden Ridge. I got the round candles on clearance at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. The pumpkin is from our garden and the gourds are from Walmart.

No comments:

Post a Comment