Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Alabama!

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had a free Saturday. When he suggested some sort of mini road trip, I immediately responded with, "Let's go to Alabama!" I've been keeping a tally of states I've visited and thanks to a trip out west this summer, I reached 40. But Alabama was not one of those 40. Despite the fact that it's the state right next to mine and it's only 80 miles down the road, it remained the only state east of the Mississippi that I had not visited. So off we went!


Here we are at the border. He was so nice as to pull over and pose for a picture with me.  :)




This trip did nothing but remind us that we were in the South. We passed a catfish barn, Discount Camo next door to the gun and knife store, and a dollar grocery with a tobacco-only drive through. This was all before we left Mississippi!

The highlight of Alabama was the signs for the Coon Dog Cemetery. Seriously?

We drove to Muscle Shoals at my insistence mainly because I recognized it from Sweet Home Alabama (it has the Swampers and they've been known to pick a song or two). We didn't find much there, but nearby was the home of Helen Keller.




We took the Natchez Trace Parkway back which provided some peaceful green scenery. We came close to going through Tupelo, MS which I have been wanting to visit even though my husband insists that it's not exciting. Similar to Muscle Shoals, my desire to visit is due to the fact that I've heard of it in a song. This one from The Proclaimers (of I Would Walk 500 Miles fame). "Sean I'd say the best one came from Tupelo, Mississippi I'll tell you now that grown men cry and Irish girls are pretty." We'll have to save Tupelo for another day.


41 states down. Only 9 more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment