Monday, August 15, 2011

Today's Harvest



This is what I harvested from the garden today. For gardeners who know what they're doing, a small cucumber, even smaller carrots, and funny looking tomatoes may not be a great harvest (at least the squash are respectable), but, I'm not a gardener that knows what I'm doing. For all the trouble we've had this year, this is great!


One of the squash plants died before it got in the ground. Okay, I broke the stem. I watched the zucchini plants and one squash plant wilt and die only to find out that I should have been doing something to get rid of the bugs crawling all over them. I think this year it has been squash bugs 154, Emily 2. One of the tomato plants just up and died one night. I thought the cucumbers were being eaten by the bugs that took the zucchini plants, but then I realized that I should have just been watering them. Oops.


Despite my noviceness, there are some bright spots. The herbs (basil, mint, lemon thyme) are all doing well (aside from a small lack of water), one tomato plant has finally starting producing tomatoes, the surviving squash plants are kicking out some stellar squash, and we got some good cucumbers before I deprived them of water.


All in all, it has been a good learning year for the garden. I'm looking forward to tackling some new things next year. Rhubarb anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment