Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Week's Favorites

Last week, I had two delicious dishes that made a reappearance at the end of the week for a nice date with the hubby.


The first dish is Lemon-Spiced Chicken (adapted from The Newlyweds' Cookbook). This is best made with thighs as suggested by the cookbook and confirmed by my resident poultry expert.


8 chicken thighs
1/3 c evoo
juice from 1 lemon
1 T cumin
1 t paprika
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1 t oregano
several sprigs of fresh lemon thyme (great and easy to grow in the garden)
coarse salt (to taste)
black pepper (to taste)




Mix the oil, lemon juice, and spices in a bowl. I pull the leaves off of most of the lemon thyme, but leave a couple whole sprigs in there. Put the chicken in a baking dish and pour the mixture over top. Be sure to coat the chicken well with the mixture. Let sit for 30-60 minutes or refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Heat oven to 400.


Ready to go in the oven...




Roast in the oven at 400 for 40-50 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Serve with pan juices poured over.


I complemented this with my favorite pasta salad.




Call me a cheater, but I love Suddenly Pasta Salad. It's even better with my favorite croutons crushed on top.


I also sauteed some yellow squash and spinach with a little chicken broth and fresh lemon thyme.


Yum!







No comments:

Post a Comment